Vengayam Thakkali Thokku Recipe | Tomato-Onion Dry Curry – A true comfort food
- 3 onions finely chopped
- 6 medium sized tomatoes finely chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- ½ – 1 tsp chilli Powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- ¼ cup green peas (frozen) – thawed
- ½ water
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- In a cooking pan or pressure cooker, dump the onions, tomato, turmeric, chili and coriander powder, salt and water. Pressure cook for 2 whistles. Remove and let it cool.
- If not using a pressure cooker, you can over a Dutch Oven or Saucepan and cook covered for 30-45 minutes on low flame.
- Heat oil in a cast-iron pan with oil. Once hot, pour the onion-tomato mixture and peas. Cook for 30-45 minutes until all the water dries and the mixture gets a beautiful roasted texture and color. It needs to form a gorgeous black base.
- Serve hot with chapatti/roti and cucumber.
- Since it uses little oil and was cooked in a pressure cooker, I eat this curry with chapatti/roti during my weightloss journey.
- This dish is also OK to eat during gestational diabetes. Just skip the green peas during the cooking.
- Also ideal for those who are diabetic and pre-diabetic.
Advika is a talented Indian cook with a passion for sharing her culinary expertise with others. Born and raised in India, she has spent years mastering traditional recipes from across the country, as well as putting her own unique twist on classic dishes. Her recipes are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips for cooks of all levels