I decided to make brunch that day. It’s weekend and the days starts little late than the previous five days. I wanted to make raddish/daikon sambar, lemon rasam, carrot poriyal and tapioca masala. It has been really long time since I cooked an eloborate meal. I rolled up my sleeve and began with the preparation at 9.00 am and gladly the food was ready in two hours. I deep fried fresh batch of appalams. It’s been quite sometime since I enjoyed a meal like the one I made that day.
I wanted to make a dish with country vegetables. I was reminded of the tapioca my grandparents would bring from our village, so I choose to use tapioca instead of potatoes. I cooked chunks of tapioca in a spicy coconut masala. This is one of my grandmother’s signature recipe and it tastes great with rice and sambhar, rasam or yogurt.
Nag’s Kappa Masala Recipe reminded me of my grandmother’s tapioca dish. So I made this dish for the Kerala Kitchen Cookout this month. The Indian Tapioca Recipe is my entry for this event. About Nags, her blogs were one of the few blogs I visited even before I started my blog. Infact, she was the first person to comment on my croissant post. I doubt whether she will remember that.
- 1 Medium Sized Tapioca
- 2 onions thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp ginger-garlic paste
- 10-12 curry leaves
- ½ tbsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp Corianer/dania powder
- ½ cup shredded coconut fresh/dessicated
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- ¼ cup oil
- Salt to taste
- 1 cup water
- 2 cloves
- 2 cardamon
- ½" Cardamon stick
- Use a mixer grinder to grind the coconut and fennel seeds with little water (about 2 tablespoon) to a fine paste and keep aside.
- Dry roast the garam masala ingredients. Cool and grind to a fine powder. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in cooking pan. Add the powdered masala, ginger-garlic paste and curry leaves and stir for few seconds.
- Saute the onions till brown in the tempered oil, about 10-12 minutes. Add the cubed tapioca with little salt and let them cook for a couple of minutes.
- Add the turmeric powder, coriander powder and chilli powder. Cook till the raw smell disappears. It would take about 3-5minutes.
- Add the coconut-fennel seeds paste now and mix them all together well. Pour in 1 cup of water and close the lid. Let them cook for 20-30min till the tapioca turns soft.(Sprinkle more water if necessary). Adjust salt to taste.