I began to prepare one favorite snack which goes so well with evening tea or coffee. And that dish which had made me think about our samayal thatha is deep fried moong dhal.
With heavy pound around my thighs and butt, I stuck to healthy version. So I microwaved the soaked moong dhal and seasoned with salt and pepper. It’s crunchy and tasty. My son loved it. It’s an ideal evening snack for kids above 3 years old. This was my go to snack for South beach diet phase 1 and also I munched on them during pregnancy. Overall, it fits list of food that comes under low glycemic index. But remember, when I say its crunchy, its strongly crunchy. Don’t expect it to have the texture of those found in Haldiram deep fried Moong dha packets. If you want a healthier version, go for it.
- 1 cup moong dhal
- 5 cups water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Salt & Pepper to taste
- Rinse and clean moong dhal. Soak them in water over night. Strain and discard the water. Dry the soaked dhal with kitchen towel . It’s important to remove any moisture
- Place in a large ceramic plate. Spread it well. Microwave high for 2 minutes. Check whether they are gathering together as lumps.If not, microwave again for 1 minute
- Break the lumps using a spoon and sprinkle salt & pepper and drizzle olive oil
- Mix them well and start to microwave for 2 minutes. Remove and check for doneness.
- Spread and mix it with a spoon and microwave for another 2 minutes. Repeat for 1 or 2 minutes if needed Each microwave is different so for the first time please check after every 1 minute of cooking. Cool and snack it with tea.