Banana sheera or simply sheera is a very popular Indian dessert made with sooji / rava / semolina, sugar and banana. Usually it is made during festivals as prasadam. Prasad is a devotional offering made to god, consisting of food that is later shared among devotees. Sheera is made during Satyanarayana Swamy Pooja. I usually make this as prasadam during Rama navami. But my kids like it so much that I make banana sheera very often with ripe bananas.
Banana sheera is also called as Prasadhacha sheera as it is made as offering to deities. It is called as sheera in Maharashtra and as halwa in other parts of India. It is also called as banana sooji halwa.
Banana sheera is a very easy to make dish and can be made in a jiffy. You can make use of roasted semolina or fresh semollina. But if you are using fresh semolina, then roasting semolina (cream of wheat) with constant stirring is a very important step. Keep frying with constant stirring for 8 – 10 minutes in low medium flame in ghee or oil till its color changes and becomes fragrant. Now to the recipe.
How to make Banana Sheera /Rava Sheera Recipe
Banana Sheera Recipe
- ½ cup rava or semolina
- 1 ¼ cup water
- ¾ cup chopped banana
- ½ cup of sugar
- ¼ tsp cardamom powder
- 3 ghee ghee
- 10 cashew nuts
- 10 raisins
- Heat ghee in a pan. Add raisins and fry till it puffs up. Transfer it to a plate.
- Next add cashews and fry till it becomes golden brown color. Transfer it to another plate. Keep aside.
- In the same ghee, add semolina and fry continuously on low medium flame till rava becomes golden brown and till you get the aroma of roasted semolina. This will take around 6 – 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, keep water for boiling in another pan.
- Once the rava is roasted well, add chopped banana pieces and saute for 2 – 3 minutes.
- Now add hot water to the semolina mixture. Cover with a lid and cook in low flame for 2 – 3 minutes. By this time, entire water will be absorbed. Open the lid, mix well.
- Now add sugar and mix well. Now you will find that it becomes loose. Keep stirring till the mixture thickens and starts leaving the edges. Add cardamom powder, cashew nuts and raisins. Mix well.
- Banana sheera is ready.