Avarakkai Poriyal Recipe | Flat Beans Masala Curry
Today’s recipe is a simple shrimp/prawn curry made with flat beans called avarakkai in Tamil. This is my mother-in-laws recipe and I have started to cook this often as we get both veggies and non-vegetarian dish in one meal. I love veggies and my husband is a big sucker for anything that is not vegetarian. Dishes like these saves my place in his heart as it satisfies both are requirements. My mother-in-laws uses vadagam as a base to build on her curry. She also used tons of curry leaves, onions and tomatoes. It’s a very simple dish and can be made in advance. You can replace flat beans (avarakkai) with Indian long radishes or bottle gourd (sorakkai).
Avarakkai Poriyal Recipe
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp vadagam
- 10-12 curry leaves
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 tsp turmeric powder
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tbsp coriander powder
- 1 large tomatoa chopped
- 250 grams flat beans / acarakkai chopped
- 1 lb prawns or shrimps cleaned and de-veined
- ½ cup water
- Heat oil in a large cooking pan. Once hot enough, add vadagam and curry leaves. Let the leaves crisp up.
- Throw in the onions and little salt ( less than a teaspoon) and let it sweat. Cook covered until they turn brown, about 8-10 minutes.
- Add turmeric, chili and coriander powder. Saute till the raw smell disappears, about 5 minutes.
- If it turn too dry, add little water to avoid burning.
- Add the tomatoes and mix it with the onions mixture.
- Add flat beans/ avarakkai and shrimp. Stir to combine. Add water and cook covered 20 minutes.
- Add salt to taste.
2. Shrimp and veggies are a great combination for those on a weightloss program.
3. Also ideal for those who are diabetic/ pre-diabetic.
4. Can be eaten during gestational diabetes
Advika is a talented Indian cook with a passion for sharing her culinary expertise with others. Born and raised in India, she has spent years mastering traditional recipes from across the country, as well as putting her own unique twist on classic dishes. Her recipes are easy to follow, with step-by-step instructions and helpful tips for cooks of all levels